Tuesday, October 22, 2013

pyAstroStack: Calibration works, affine transformations by ImageMagick

Actually all that worked already before the previous post. I had to do couple of changes to the calibration functions because now images are monochrome and before RGB, but otherwise everything was in order.

I had some problems on master dark being white, but I found out that to be because the program was reusing old temporary dark#.tiff files. Master bias was subtracted once every time I ran the program causing values of uint16 go below zero. I now changed the program to use float32 during the process and output int16 only when everything is ready. Also temporary files are now manually removed before every new test run.

I noticed ImageMagick can do affine transformations based on matching pairs. Just what I need! It's a lot faster than Scikit-Image, which I won't be needing anymore so one less dependency to worry about. I could probably do a lot more with ImageMagick as well so I have to look into that some more. This project isn't about coding everything by myself. It's about getting astronomical image stacking done on open source software. Hence, ImageMagick is fine.

Next I think I should make some kind of a project file which holds information about temporary files and which can be removed and which reused.

So here's the first result of full calibration process.


That's of course not what my code outputs. Postprocessing has been done with Darktable. Bigger version again on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96700120@N06/10427590704/

I addition to project file I'll start working on interpolating calibrated raw images into RGB.

Btw, the whole process takes now 7 min 30 s. That's for 30 bias, 10 dark, 7 flat and 30 light frames. That's quite good, I think.